[mythtv-users] mythmusic alternatives

Ron Garrison ron.garrison at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 00:49:02 UTC 2007

On 7/3/07, Robert <RobertCL at iname.com> wrote:

> Steve Smith wrote:
> > Yes a MythSqueeze gets my vote! Slimserver is in place and has lots of
> > features,
> > we've got SoftSqueeze already as a standalone client, MvpMC also
> > implements a Slimserver client
> > on the Hauppuage MVP it's an ideal fit!
> >
> > Just need someone to integrate SoftSqueeze into Myth....
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Steve
> >

> From glancing at it, I'm not sure this does what I want.  Maybe someone
> can confirm or deny (or I could just read the manual!)
>
> I don't want to stream music over my network, I want to play music _on_
> my mythbox (since it is connected to my hifi and decent speakers) but be
> able to control what it playing either via mythfrontend running on the
> TV, or from a remote web front end running on my laptop / pda / phone /
> whatever.  I don't (necessairly) want the sound to come out of the
> device I'm using to control what is playing as my laptop speakers and
> rubbish and sound tinny. (Although I guess I would want to stream
> sometimes...)
>
> Playlist manangement using a remote control is too tedious.  I just want
> to be able to drag and drop from a remote (web) frontend on another PC.

If the mythical Myth client was on the same box as the server you wouldn't
be streaming over the network, but the client server model would be the
same.

I have slimserver running on my mythbox accessing the same set of files that
MythMusic accesses.  That way I can stream over my network to other
computers or my standalone slimdevice.  I can control what is being played
on any of them through a web page on any computer.

The current problem is the lack of integration with MythTV.  If a Myth Slim
Device Client existed, then I would be very happy.  I'm certain its possible
as all source code is open.

Ron