[mythtv-users] Any way to pay?

Tim Schall tschall-mythtv at fortgirlfriend.com
Wed Jul 4 04:10:03 UTC 2007

Carl is correct.  I am not a computer programmer and I don't know that
MythTV will or won't support a source other than datadirect.

What I am is a television station 'transmission engineer.'  I take care of
all the last mile stuff such as transmitters and fiber connections to cable
companies for KCTS-TV which is the PBS station in Seattle, WA.  We were the
first PBS station in the US on the air in digital and the second one in
Seattle by about 8 hours or so.  We cranked digital up in April of 1999.  I
got a lot of time under my belt with it.

As far as PSIP goes, it is not a part of either the ATSC or mpeg standards.
The FCC "decided" that it should be included 'by reference' so we're stuck
with it.  It is required that all digital television stations transmit EPG
data out 12 hours that is "substanially accurate."  The comission has
declined to define exactly what that means.  I transmit data out 10 days and
believe that it would meet anyones definition of  'substanially accurate.'
I check it frequently and can count on one hand the number of times I have
found it incorrect since I put it on in May of 2000.  (A long time before it
was 'required.')

I'd be happy to provide whatever input I can as far as generating a new,
freely available, open source of EPG data for MythTV and whatever other open
source applications are out there.  In the meantime I would be happy to pay
(for data I handed to TMS for free, but that 's another rant for another
time....)

How may I help?

Tim