[mythtv-users] Sat receiver and HD Question

Keith Barrett kgbarrett2002 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 4 04:13:04 UTC 2007

I have read tons of posts, some pretty old, on Sat receiver connections
to MythTV and the issues regarding recording HD. I agree; until an HDMI
compressor shows up we have to wait on recording HD content.

I hope I am correct in assuming that I can still record the HD channel
output from a DISH or Direct TV receiver from the analog output (in
480p)?

Here's my real question. I'm asking because I do not (yet) subscribe to
Dish or DirectTV.

Regardless of how the channels can be recorded in any resolution, how
do I actually watch the DISH HD channels in high def if my MythTV box
is between the receiver and the monitor? Would I need to buy an HDMI
card like <a
href="http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/">this</a>
and connect BOTH the DISH receiver analog output to my analog in, and
the receiver HDMI output to this card's HDMI input, then view the HDMI
output from my graphics card? If so, I hope that all the non-HD content
is also being sent to that receiver's HDMI output so I can stay viewing
one MythTV interface instead of switching based on channel selected.

If I have a DISH receiver connected to my MythTV via the HDMI and via
the analog outputs,

Forgive me if this question is a bit newbie, but