[mythtv-users] Any way to pay?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Jul 4 05:46:01 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jul 03, 2007 at 09:10:03PM -0700, Tim Schall wrote:
> What I am is a television station 'transmission engineer.'  I take care of
> all the last mile stuff such as transmitters and fiber connections to cable
> companies for KCTS-TV which is the PBS station in Seattle, WA.  We were the
> first PBS station in the US on the air in digital and the second one in
> Seattle by about 8 hours or so.  We cranked digital up in April of 1999.  I
> got a lot of time under my belt with it.
>
> As far as PSIP goes, it is not a part of either the ATSC or mpeg standards.
> The FCC "decided" that it should be included 'by reference' so we're stuck
> with it.  It is required that all digital television stations transmit EPG
> data out 12 hours that is "substanially accurate."  The comission has
> declined to define exactly what that means.  I transmit data out 10 days and
> believe that it would meet anyones definition of  'substanially accurate.'
> I check it frequently and can count on one hand the number of times I have
> found it incorrect since I put it on in May of 2000.  (A long time before it
> was 'required.')
>
> I'd be happy to provide whatever input I can as far as generating a new,
> freely available, open source of EPG data for MythTV and whatever other open
> source applications are out there.  In the meantime I would be happy to pay
> (for data I handed to TMS for free, but that 's another rant for another
> time....)
>
> How may I help?

You are *so* hired.

:-)

Can you speak, a little bit, to how your station acquires and maintains
program metadata and scheduling data, internally (software and
processes), and from whom (or to whom) you transfer that data

I'd also be interested in anything that anyone *thinks* is the FCC's
regs regarding ATSC/PSIP, and related information.

At the moment, no, there isn't a direct replacement for Z2L/TMS's
DataDirect.  Several groups on the mailing list are working on
different aspects of this.  Several of the core developers are working
on what we *think* is likely to be something of a co-op, paying TMS for
a data feed and then, effectively, running DataDirect themselves, on
behalf of a paying community... if the numbers can be made to work out
right.

Others are working on a medium- and long-term replacement; check out
the "Mooting an Architecture" thread in the archives of this list
(among others) at Gossamer Threads, as well as the MythEPG-devel list
in the project of the same name at SourceForge, for more on that.

And welcome aboard.  I assume you run MythTV yourself?

Cheers
-- jra