[mythtv-users] Stuttering video and audio with MythDVD

Tom Greer trgreer at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 17:19:43 UTC 2007

On 7/3/07, Michelle Dupuis <support at ocg.ca> wrote:
> Are you sure XvMC is unecessary?  I thought that turning this on simply
> tells the GPU to handle motion compensation instead of the CPU.
>
> Wouldn't turning it off make the image worse?

No.  I have four frontends and none of them use XvMC.  I'm able to
watch HDTV using CPUs that have a lot less horsepower than what is
described above.

XvMC does offload some processing to the GPU.  The benefit is that
some of the load is shifted from the CPU, enabling an older, slower
CPU to be used.

However, there are trade offs.  With XvMC, the images displayed during
fast forward and rewind are useless.  Editing the commercial cut
points in a recording is an exercise in futility.  The OSD is
displayed in black & white (in some cases it can be forced back to
color).   And so on...

If you have sufficient CPU horsepower, there is no reason to use XvMC.

Tom