[mythtv-users] Any way to pay?

David Shay david at shay.net
Fri Jul 6 05:44:53 UTC 2007

On 7/4/07, Tim Schall <tschall-mythtv at fortgirlfriend.com> wrote:
> Hmmmm, ya know, it just occured to me, there is complete data for all
> stations and all providers inserted into MOST (Including mine.) PBS stations
> signals.  I carry it as a data PID on my digital station and as VBI data on
> my analog station.  It's provided by Gemstar/TV Guide and we just pass it on
> through.  Not sure what their usage policy is on the data or if there's a
> subscription fee for it but I can sure find out if it would be helpful.
>
> Tim

I thought about this shortly after the announcement, even tried to
find the data, which is apparently on VBI line 17.  My understanding
after further research is that the data is encrypted, that you have to
have a license from Gemstar/TV Guide to decrypt it, that they only
provide this to secure hardware decryption devices, and that in almost
all known cases, they bundle access to the data with their GUI which
also includes ads served up in the same data stream.  Arrgh.  It's all
right there, being shipped into most of our homes already.....