[mythtv-users] Sorry, but I don't want to pay much

jedi at mishnet.org jedi at mishnet.org
Fri Jul 6 19:01:34 UTC 2007

> On Jul 1, 2007, at 12:24 PM, Kevin Hulse wrote:
>> 	Madison avenue seems to think they have a right to our time or
>> something
>> and it simply isn't so. They need this fact beaten into them so
>> they change their
>> practices.
>
> It sort of cuts both ways.  They don't have a right to our time, but
> by the same token we don't have a right to free TV programming.  It
> gets paid for one way or another.

    Ever watched TV land? Ever seen the retro-mercials?

    Those are commercials "as content". Compared to their modern counterparts
they downright pleasant. It really puts things into perspective just how much
contempt the advertisers have for us.

    Like anything else digital, you've got to make it worth the consumer's
time. You can't force payment or attention.

    There's no reason madison avenue can't produce stuff that's not going
to send America fleeing for the bathroom.