[mythtv-users] EIT Scanner?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Jul 8 22:01:09 UTC 2007

On 07/08/2007 02:17 PM, Steve Harrington wrote:
> I'm using MythTV exclusively for ATSC OTA recording.  Today I'm trying
> to convert the backend to use EIT instead of DataDirect.  I've been
> successful, except for the fact that I have to tune each channel to get
> the guide info to show in MythWeb.  I have two questions about EIT now:
>
> 1) Is there a "crawler" or "scanner" that will run automatically to
> populate the guide?  I've googled for one and seen some hints at one,
> but the wiki page on EIT has no info on it.

Don't know, but I /highly/ recommend your exercising some patience while
DataDirect still continues to work (and it's still working just fine for
me, in case that was your concern).  If you switch guide sources from
DataDirect (which provides programid's) to EIT (which doesn't), your
entire history of recorded programs (since you started using DataDirect)
becomes irrelevant--nothing (at least no episodes of series) will be
marked as a dup, so you'll re-record everything you've watched for the
last 3 years or whatever.

Before people start posting, "Just heard that dup matching won't work,"
threads to the list, please realize that the devs are actually on top of
things.  If the programid's for the new solution get changed in such a
way that dup matching breaks, Myth will be modified to accommodate the
changes in such a way as to create the most-useful system possible with
the new data.

So, if you're patient, things will be taken care of and "stop-gap"
solutions won't cause you problems (now or after the change to the new
solution).

Oh, and I won't mention the fact that you'll probably be severely
disappointed by the quality and "quantity" of EIT data for OTA ATSC.
(Now and next, maybe?  A bit more if you're lucky, but likely less than
2 days.)

> 2) When the wiki mentions running mythfilldatabase --no-delete to keep
> the database from building.  When I check run mythfilldatabase on my
> frontend, is that sufficient?

Sufficient, yes, but not what was described.  To use "--no-delete" type
"--no-delete" for mythfilldatabase Arguments.  However, it really
doesn't matter whether you pass that argument (unless you want to keep 1
week's worth of "expired" listings--like I do).

Mike