[mythtv-users] Script to keep DCT-6xxx boxes alive

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 19:26:31 UTC 2007

On 7/9/07, Tom Greer <trgreer at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/7/07, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Am I correct in that the script is not set up to run firewire_tester
> > as many times as is needed to stabilize the connection? occasionally
> > I've had to run it multiple times before it works. I may add some
> > extra code to make sure it repeats running until the connection is
> > fixed.
> >
> > now just to figure out how to have Myth run it after it changes
> > channels but before it attempts to begin recording... (though in
> > really it would be best if it just did this on its own in the
> > backend...)
>
> Steve,
>
> The script executes firewire_tester using the -B parameter which
> attempts to fix/stabilize a broadcast connection.  If you like, you
> can add the -r parameter followed by the number times to repeat this
> action (e.g -r 5 will cause it to repeat everything 5 times).

I'd rather just run firewire_tester until its fixed, no need to repeat
after that. though i guess it doesn't hurt either. -r 20 should be
more than enough.

> I have a cron job that runs this script once every 30 minutes.  That
> seems to keep the boxes from going to sleep.

thats what I think I'll do.

> What version of myth are you running?  There have been some recent
> improvements in the backend that have greatly improved firewire
> reliability by incorporating some of firewire_tester type logic.

SVN, sadly it seems to go in and out of reliability. I had a few weeks
were it was fine, then lately it's missed a lot of recordings. When I
notice in the backend log that its trying to capture I'll run
firewire_tester manually and after a few iterations, 3-5 usually, the
box starts streaming to the backend.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!