[mythtv-users] Twinview CRT + TV and Domain panning

Francis Tessier francis_tessier at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 9 20:39:03 UTC 2007

Howdy,

I've been playing with Xorg's configuration file to get this setup straight:

Main display: CRT screen (Sony Trinitron 19")
TV-out :      TV via S-VIDEO
Twinview on
in a "CLONE" setup, but at different resolutions (as in independent resolution for the TV).
on Nvidia 6600GT
If I run both screens at the same resolutions everything is fine. (twinview = CLONE)

But I want to set the CRT at 1024x768 and the TV at 800x600. I can almost feel the victory: with my current xorg.conf file I get the TV not showing everything (only the 800x600 left-upper corner of the 1024x768 I'd say).

Now I just found out about "panning domain". Anybody knows if this is what I'm looking for ? I can't try it right now, I'll try it tonight, and let everyone know about it if it works, but I don't understand all the theory about this yet, so I thought I might ask for insight.

Here is my current xorg.conf and a commented-out panning domain that I plan to use:

# XFree86 4 configuration created by pyxf86config
Section "ServerLayout"        Identifier     "Default Layout"        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"        InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"EndSection

Section "Files"        RgbPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"        FontPath     "unix/:7100"EndSection

Section "Module"        Load  "dbe"        Load  "extmod"        Load  "fbdevhw"        Load  "glx"        Load  "record"        Load  "freetype"        Load  "type1"        Load  "v4l"        #Load  "dri"EndSection

Section "InputDevice"        Identifier  "Keyboard0"        Driver      "kbd"        Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"        Option      "XkbLayout" "us"EndSection

Section "InputDevice"        Identifier  "Mouse0"        Driver      "mouse"        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "no"EndSection

Section "Monitor"        Identifier   "Monitor0"        VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"        HorizSync    30.0 - 50.0        VertRefresh  60.0 - 60.0EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"        Option "blank time" "0"        Option "standby time" "0"        Option "suspend time" "0"        Option "off time" "0"        Option "Xinerama" "off"EndSection

Section "Device"        Identifier  "Videocard0"        Driver      "nvidia"        VendorName  "Videocard vendor"        BoardName   "NVIDIA GeForce"        Option      "NoLogo" "1"        Option      "TwinView"        Option      "TwinViewOrientation" "Clone"        Option      "ConnectedMonitor" "CRT-0, TV-0"        Option      "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "30-50"        Option      "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "60"        Option      "TVStandard" "NTSC-M"        Option      "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO"        Option      "TVOverScan" "0.6"        Option      "MetaModes" "CRT-0: 1024x768, TV-0: 800x600"  # Missing some display area on TV
        # Option      "MetaModes" "1024x768,800x600 at 1024x768"  # Next try
EndSection

Section "Screen"        Identifier "Screen0"        Device     "Videocard0"        Monitor    "Monitor0"        DefaultDepth     24        SubSection "Display"                Viewport 0 0                Depth    24                Modes    "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"        EndSubSectionEndSection

Section "DRI"        Group        0        Mode         0666EndSection

Someone has done that ?

Francis Tessier