[mythtv-users] Surely 2x P3 1Ghz is ENOUGH!!!

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 10:32:40 UTC 2007

On 10/07/07, Steve Smith <st3v3.sm1th at gmail.com> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I'm trying to get SD playback (yes that's SD!) to my TV working smoothly.
>
> My current track is to use a PVR-350. That works fine for stuff sourced from
> my PVR-350 or PVR-150,
> but for content from my DVB-T card the 350 can't play the TS streams.
>

>  I'm trying to play MPEG TS streams using the 350.
>  At the moment it's playing using XVideo.
>  Spec is:    2x Pentium 3 1Ghz
>                  1 Gig RAM
>                   Mythbuntu sourced 0.20-fixes
>
> But I'm regularly getting stuttering, with CPU utilisation exceeding 1
> processor. The playback logs indicate
> that the video is ahead of the audio.
>
> Surely a single 1Ghz P3 is enough to playback ordinary SD content?
>
> Anyone got any tips here?

Try doing a lossless transcode on your DVB material before you play it
back on the PVR-350.  I believe this does a TS->PS conversion.   Under
the transcoder setup I made sure the mpeg2 autodetect transcoder was
set to lossless, then when watching the recording press 'M' for menu
and select 'Transcode'.  I always do this before re-encoding (eg to
DVD or onto my PSP)  ; it seems to make the recordings more 'friendly'
to other software, so it may help in your case.