[mythtv-users] mythtv2go

Henry A Harper III hah at alumni.rice.edu
Tue Jul 10 15:58:13 UTC 2007

> On 7/10/07, Brian D. Frost <bfrost at brainboy.com> wrote:
> > I am taking a trip in a few days and want to take some shows
> with me on my laptop. How does everyone else do that? Do you just
> copy some shows out of the video directory with the crazy names
> and play them with vlc? I was just hoping that there was a nice,
> slick way to go offline with my mythtv frontend...
>
> > thoughts?
>
> I run mythrename.pl to convert filenames into human readable form.
> Then I copy the ones I want to a USB hard drive (NTFS format).  Then I
> watch them using vlc on Linux or Windows.

Although I run mythrename.pl as well, I have found it simplest to just
download from MythWeb's Recorded Programs page. Maybe with newer SVN than I
have that does some streaming flash transcode automatically, but for me it
will download a 1-hour HD program in about 3 minutes via GigE by simply
clicking on the program name/thumbnail. The MPG file is nicely named, and
then I watch it at full res using VLC on my shiny new LED-backlit Macbook
Pro. I also have a 160gb NTFS USB drive that I can fill up using my Windows
box (or Boot Camp/Parallels/Fusion, I suppose).