[mythtv-users] Two-backends with two-frontends on one machine?

Jay Mallar surfing at jaymallar.com
Tue Jul 10 18:34:39 UTC 2007

I'm in the process of setting up a new system.  I plan to have two
identical backends with two tuners each, and have these backends
available throughout my house via frontend machines at each TV.

I'd like to be able to watch anything recorded on either backend
anywhere in the house.

Option 1 is to link the backends (making one the master) so they can
keep track of schedules and conflicts between them, and have each
frontend access the backend complex.

I'm curious if there is an Option 2.

Assume I have a frontend machine called FM1 in my living room.  Assume
further I have two identical backend machines, BM1 and BM2, each
recording things on their own (not linked together in anyway way - and
yes, I understand they won't be able to deal with duplicates, schedules
and conflicts between them in this configuration).

Now assume FM1 has two MythTV frontend processes on it, P1 and P2.  Can
I have process P1 talk only to BM1 and process P2 talk only to BM2?
That way, with simple window/desktop switching I could access the other
machine and its recordings, for example, desktop 1 would display stuff
from P1/BM1 and desktop 2 would display stuff from P2/BM2.

Why, you ask?  I currently have two Tivos today; I control one, my
better half controls the other, and we like having control of our own
recordings without the clutter of the other.

--
-Jay