[mythtv-users] Hauppauge IR compatible with IR repeater system

Michelle Dupuis support at ocg.ca
Wed Jul 11 00:24:11 UTC 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Meatwad
Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2007 12:21 AM
To: Discussion about mythtv
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Hauppauge IR compatible with IR repeater system

Michelle Dupuis wrote:
> That's actually the repeater brand I have: Xantech (and it all works
great).
> Do I understand you correctly that if I connect the (signal) of the
> output on the Xantech, to the tip of the Hauppauge (signal) input, and
> the outer ring of the Xantech (ground) to the outer ring of the
> Hauppauge (ground) I should be ok?  (I can sever the power wire if
> necessary)

First, please avoid top-posting as bottom-posting is the convention for this
list.

You misunderstand. The IR input on the Hauppauge is electrically similar if
not identical to the IR RCVR input of the connecting block. This circuit is
completely different then the emitter outputs of the connecting block and
the "IR In" ports commonly found on the back of (mid to high-range)
receivers, DVD players, projectors, displays, etc.

If you connect the output of the connecting block to the IR RCVR input of
the Hauppauge - even if you wire it without the power lead - you will
a) damage the the Hauppauge or b) have very erratic behavior, if any.

The solution would be to take an emitter and tape it head-to-head to the
Hauppauge's IR receiver. Not pretty but it will work very reliably as long
as you align the emitter and receiver properly.

You can find more detailed (err, confusing) info over at the Russound
website in the IR products section. Sadly, no direct links just like
Xantech.

HTH

--
mw