[mythtv-users] Best Remote?

Tom Greer trgreer at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 01:37:57 UTC 2007

On 7/10/07, David Frascone <dave at frascone.com> wrote:

> I currently have a Harmony 880 remote -- but I'm thinking of downgrading.
>
> It used to control my vcr, media center, dvd player, dvd recorder, and
> comcast PVR.  (And, of course, TV and AV Receiver)
>
> Now it controls my mythtv, and, occasionally, a VCR.  (And TV & AV receiver)

Don't you love MythTV??  I recently emptied out my entertainment
cabinet.  I no longer needed my DVD player, VCR or multimedia
amplifier.

> But -- I've had trouble finding a good profile to have enough buttons to
> control my myth effectively.  I want commercial skip buttons, delete
> buttons, parental control buttons, etc.  So I quickly run out.
>
>  So -- my question is -- what's the best remote for Myth?  I'm willing to
> e-bay my harmony, to if I can find something with lots of buttons, with a
> good lircrc, that will also control volume on my AV receiver, and power on
> my TV.

I got lucky in that my local cable provider (Cox) provides a universal
remote with lots of keys
http://support.cox.com/sdccommon/asp/contentredirect.asp?sprt_cid=4485d8f1-9054-4e42-a23a-9f752d0fedb7.

On top of all the normal TV controls, it has all the buttons needed
for a DVR (FF, Rewind, Play, Pause, etc.), plus some extras.

Here is how I mapped some of the keys:

Button -> MythTV Action
-------------------------------------
"DVR List" button --> Watch Recordings
"Live TV" button --> Watch TV
"On Demand" button --> Watch Videos
Yellow "A" button --> Change tuner
Blue "B" button --> kills mythfrontend and restarts it (no more calls
at work from wife)
Red "C" button --> Delete

Since it is a universal remote capable of controlling four devices,
there are lots of extra buttons available by switching to AUX and/or
DVD.  I use these for things that only I would do, like editing
recordings, etc.

Best of all, since my wife had used to this remote for years, she was
comfortable moving to MythTV.

Free for me.  These must be available to purchase from somewhere...

For what it's worth.

Tom