[mythtv-users] Best Remote?

David Frascone dave at frascone.com
Wed Jul 11 15:45:45 UTC 2007

On 7/11/07, Chad <masterclc at gmail.com> wrote:

> By far my favorite remote for one of my MythTV frontends is a (very)
> old school RCA remote.  Seems like it's a RCU-810?  Hang on,
> googling...  Yep!  If you can get your hands on a few of these they
> make great remotes.  They have Learning keys to control "future"
> products and Macro keys to give you that "Harmony" feel.  The 2
> biggest downfalls are the weight of the unit (which is not that bad,
> but you have to pick something right?) and the lack of overall
> enthusiasm.  I'd expected everyone on the planet to think these were
> "the bomb diggie" rather than the Harmony options.  But since the
> world decided Harmony was "where it's at" I broke down and got a few.
> Overall the Harmony doesn't suck, but in general I have a much better
> feel from using my RCA.

While searching for these, I ran into the JP1 project.  As if I have time
for more hobbies.  Anyway, I just bought two  URC-8910's.  I hope I like
them . . they were cheap enough ($40 for both).

Plus, since I'm sure I'll be messing with JP1 (
http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/ ), those are compatible :)

I'll keep ya posted!

--
David Frascone

Shareware: forget the manual...phone the author at home!