[mythtv-users] MythTV Frontend: frequent disconnections

Tom Greer trgreer at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 19:58:12 UTC 2007

On 7/11/07, Charles Waddell <daniel_waddell01 at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  I am running a mythtv backend server on Fedora Core 6, installed using
> the RPM at version 0.20.1-157 and setting on my network's DMZ. One of my
> frontends is running on an XBOX (Xebian) with the frontend package version
> at 0.20-0.3.
>
> The problem that I am experiencing is with frequent disconnects. I can
> start mythfrontend fine, I can navigate to live tv, or to a recorded program
> without issue. I can also watch either category. However, if I set idle for
> around 20 minutes (rough estimate), I lose connection with the backend. If I
> am watching a show, the program continues to run without issue, but when I
> go to a menu or navigate to recordings the system hangs. In order to
> reestablish a connection, I have to kill the frontend application, and
> restart it (which is incredibly slow on an XBOX). I know that I have
> disconnected because the last line of the console states that I disconnected
> from the server (I will try to post the exact output when I get off of
> work). Do you think this is a versioning problem, or is there something
> wrong with my configuration, or is it maybe a networking issue? Thanks for
> your help.
>
> -- Daniel

The only way to troubleshoot this is to start inspecting your log files.

If this is a MythTV problem, then your mythbackend log should give you a
clue.  You may need to run mythfrontend from a command line (or specify a
logfile) to see what error messages it is generating.

If not, then start looking in the other log files (typically in the
/var/log/ directory) on both the front and back ends.  Once you can find the
underlying error(s), then Google can provide solutions.

Tom