[mythtv-users] Best Remote?

Nick Tan nick at wehi.EDU.AU
Thu Jul 12 01:04:40 UTC 2007

William Kenworthy wrote:
> Is it possible to use the MCE blasters now?  Last time I tried they
> werent supported by MCEUSB2 - if they are usable these days can you
> point me to a howto or reference?
>
> Thanks
> BillK

Hi Bill,

I use the MCEUSB2 lirc module to control the two IR blasters connected
to my MCE IR receiver.  Use the latest version of lirc and make sure all
the codes you need are in your lircd.conf file.  Then use irsend to send
out the commands.  Eg:

I use this to change channels on my foxtel cable box on transmitter 2:

for digit in $(echo $1 | sed -e 's/./& /g'); do
         /usr/local/bin/irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 2
         /usr/local/bin/irsend SEND_ONCE $REMOTE_NAME $digit
         nice sleep 0.4
done

and this to mute/unmute my denon receiver on transmitter 1:

/usr/local/bin/irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1
/usr/local/bin/irsend SEND_ONCE denon mute

Hope this helps,

Nick