[mythtv-users] Remote to turn *on* mythtv?

Leighton Brough brough at baremetalsoft.com
Thu Jul 12 07:26:31 UTC 2007

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 07/11/2007 01:43 PM, David Frascone wrote:
>
>> I can't think of any way to do it -- but is there a way to turn on a
>> myth box via remote?  What about if suspended?  Can it do wake-on-serial?
>>

> Don't know if this works (never tried it since my Myth frontend is
> basically always on), but what about wake on USB with a USB receiver
> (like the ATI/NVIDIA/X10 devices or even some of the for-sale USB
> receivers, like from iguanaworks)?

I'm successfully using the Microsoft MCE remote with its USB receiver to
do this. It works well to wake my combined front/backend from the
suspend-to-RAM state. In fact it is designed to do precisely this. I've
been very happy with this remote. I'm sure some other remotes will have
similar features.

You need to tell the kernel you'd like the system to be woken by the USB
receiver. Something like "echo USB2 > /proc/acpi/wakeup" should do the
trick (depending on which USB port the receiver is attached to). You
will probably also need to change some jumpers on the motherboard to
ensure the USB port in question is powered when the system is suspended.

Exactly which states (off, suspend-to-RAM, suspend-to-disk) the USB can
wake the system from depends on your motherboard, so this might not work
in every configuration. On a combine FE/BE you would also want to add
the ability to wake at a specified time to record when it needs to. With
my cheap Asus board, it all worked as I wanted, once it was correctly
configured. The result is that that box is up and usable within 10
seconds of hitting the remote power button - about as long as it takes
the monitor to wake up.

I found it took quite a lot of reading, experimentation and frustration
to get suspend-to-RAM working just right as this depends on various
factors including your HW and the kernel config and version. But once it
does work the net effect is very satisfactory. The WAF is high :-)

Leighton