[mythtv-users] What does Expire do?

William Munson william_munson at bellsouth.net
Fri Jul 13 11:33:24 UTC 2007

Robert Current wrote:
> On 7/12/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>
>>> I noticed that after running auto-flag commercials or the delete
>>> commercials script, for some reason the shows get marked as viewed,
>>>

>> SVN trunk, right?  If so, I'm assuming you mean marked as "watched", right?
>>

> Yes, I mean watched, not viewed, sorry...  and yea, SVN trunk.
>

>>> even if I haven't watched them, which is odd.
>>>
>> If the assumptions above are correct, I'd say this is a bug (and a patch
>> would be appreciated ;).  The playback that's occurring for
>> flagging/transcoding should not trigger setting the watched flag.
>>

> Yea, I was thinking that, "bug" but... I didn't want to assume.  They
> do get marked as watched...  even if I haven't.
>
> BUT...  I wouldn't guarantee it's just the flag-commercials that is
> doing it, but for sure the "remove commercial" script I got off the
> How-To/FAQ is doing this, at least on my system, and has for several
> versions, including my MythDora install and KnoppMyth install that
> proceeded my current Debian/SVN-mythtv install.  If it's a bug outside
> of Myth, then it's a bug I've brought with me while I carried my mysql
> database through the three different installs.
>
> HOWEVER, I did notice that since using the Debian/SVN system I'm using
> now, all of the "commercial detect" options are gone...  I use to use
> "blank frame detect" (or something like that, I don't remember) to
> detect/flag commercials.  Now, there are no options for how to
> find/flag commercials.  And to be honest, it's not working well AT
> ALL, it usually pulls 1-2 commercials out, and if I'm lucky 1 full
> commercial break.  My system use to do an almost flawless job of
> commercial removal, but now it is lucky if I get even 1 out of 5 of
> them deleted...
>
> BUT, again, my system has changed so often, I couldn't say it's SVN...
> because around the same time I switched form cable to satellite
> source... so... maybe it's having a harder time detecting commercials
> because of that...?
>
> Anyway, original topic...  Things still seem to be "viewed" even when
> they BARELY remove any commercials, but have went through the
> scripts...

With all the other problems you are having with your system its a good
bet that you have a corrupted database. You might want to backup your
database, wipe and restart with a new database and once you get things
configured, load in your old recording, recording schedules and such.....

First thing I would try is the database repair script from the contribs
directory. After a backup, of course.