[mythtv-users] Adding slave backend

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri Jul 13 14:15:32 UTC 2007

Mitch Gore wrote:

> On 7/12/07, *Michael T. Dean* < mtdean at thirdcontact.com
> <mailto:mtdean at thirdcontact.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 07/12/2007 09:47 PM, Mitch Gore wrote:
>      > So i want to add a slave backend with a pvr-150 card.  I cant
>     seem to
>      > figure it out.  right now i can see the card in mythweb but its says
>      > currently not connected.
>      >
>      > here are the step i have done so far.
>      >
>      > 1. installed mythtv-suite .21-bleeding via atrpms
>      > 2. installed ivtv
>      > 3. tested card [OK]
>      > 4. edited /root/.mythtv/mysql.txt and
>     /home/myth/.mythtv/mysql.txt and
>      > changed the dbhostname: to the master backend IP address.
>      > 5. set IP addresses in mythtv-setup accordingly.
>      > 6. added capture card on the slave.
>      > 7. started the backend on the slave.  It connects to the db just
>     fine.
>      >
>      >
>      > I do have other remote frontends working as i type this.
>      >
>      > What am i missing? Why am I seeing the "Currently not connected"
>     error?
>
>     Backend (on slave) running?  Slave backend connecting to the proper
>     database (and not a local MySQL instance--that shouldn't be running on
>     the slave backend)?  Proper hostname/IP setup on the slave backend?
>
>     Mike
>
> yea, if it shows up on mythweb as installed doesnt that mean that i have
> the db issues working?

In my experience, when mythweb shows a remote backend (ie a tuner not in
the master backend's box) as "currently not connected" it means that the
slave backend for that tuner isn't running.

It may be that you started it and it fell over shortly afterwards,
perhaps when you selected it for live TV ('y' on keyboard to switch tuners).

Try running the slave backend from a command prompt to see what messages
turn up. If nothing obvious is there, you might have to increase the
logging (mythbackend -v help).

It's possible, if the slave backend is still running, that the master
backend doesn't recognise it, although I wouldn't know how such a
mismatch might happen, or how to debug it.

Mike Perkins