[mythtv-users] Starting Slave backend

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 07:19:00 UTC 2007

On 15/07/07, Mitch Gore <mitchell.gore at gmail.com> wrote:
> I just set up a new slave backend.  Some how my mysql on that box got hosed
> and is not working.  So i figured if i made it a slaveBE it would be fine
> since its not using the local db.  When i start mythbackend as root from
> terminal it works fine.  but when i start the BE as a service it crashes.
> when i check to logs its because it is trying to connect to the local mysql.
>  how do i stop this?
>

> I have my /root/.mythtv/mysql.txt set correctly.

Mitch,

I'm guessing you're using atrpms.net binaries on Fedora? I've been
doing a fair amount of work on the Fedora init and config scripts, and
this is one of the more frequent issues I've seen users have when
running mythbackend as a service, rather than from a terminal prompt.

I just checked the mythbackend initscript which you will be using if
you are using the atrpms.net release of MythTV. This starts the
mythbackend program as a daemon but without the '--user' option, which
means that (at least as I understand things) $HOME is not set (it will
default to /) - which is why users find MythTV config files off the /
folder. When running mythbackend from a terminal, $HOME is correctly
set and config files are read from and written too the expected
location for that user (/root/.mythtv/ for root, and
/home/user/.mythtv/ for regular users).

I have some further refinements which will hopefully be commited soon
by skamithi on ticket http://cvs.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/3573.

--
Nick

MythTV Official wiki: