[mythtv-users] Best IR usb Tx & Rx

Matthew Bodkin lists at innovationone.ca
Mon Jul 16 12:20:42 UTC 2007

Hi Michelle -

Michelle Dupuis wrote:
> For the sake of others looking for an IR txrx I thought I'd ask a
> couple of questions on the list...I looked at your site and a few
> things aren't clear:
I'll make sure it gets clarified.

> 1.  Does the commandir offload all processing (DSP) from the CPU - in
> other words is there any CPU load during IR Rx or Tx
First, we originally designed it for LIRC because people have problems
with 1) controlling 56kHz set-top boxes with serial blasters which stall
the CPU ("uninterruptable" kernel code to get signal timings in range)
and 2) controlling more than 1 device, especially multiple identical
set-top boxes which otherwise means digging into codesets, or long
setups of multiple LIRC instances.

Yes it offloads.  LIRC tells it what needs to be transmitted on what
modulated frequency and goes back to sleep.  Similarly, it tells LIRC
what's been received (and demodulated in hardware) for event processing.
The on-board microcontroller takes care of the signal processing.

It's a little more $ since it's Linux-only and naturally the volume is
less.  We also wrote and maintain the driver unlike most other LIRC
hardware, and created LIRC Config for customizing remotes and
configuration with popular Linux programs -
http://lircconfig.commandir.com/

> 2.  Is the IR Rx only for learning remote codes, or can it be used for
> listening for IR commands to be send to Lirc?
It can both "listen" to any remote (38kHz) and irrecord.  Basically as
long as the lircd.conf doesn't have the "frequency 56000" line (which is
mostly set-top box remotes) you can use it with LIRC with CommandIR.

> Thanks,
> Michelle
No problem, hope that helps.

Matthew