[mythtv-users] Channel renumbering

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jul 17 19:38:21 UTC 2007

On 07/17/2007 08:01 AM, Matthew Daubenspeck wrote:
> My cable company has again renumbered many channels, and zap2it hasn't
> caught up. Is there a way for me to manually change channel numbers in
> my setup?

Channel numbers are irrelevant to Myth.  They are only used by the user
(you) to specify to Myth what channel you would like to watch during
LiveTV.  You can change channel numbers to any number you like (i.e.
when your cable company puts Fox 35 on channel 3, you can change its
channel number to 35).

However, Myth needs to know what frequency ID is associated with a
particular channels programming data so that it can automatically tune
the appropriate channel for recording.  So, using mythtv-setup's or
MythWeb's channel editor, change the frequency id ("Frequency or
Channel" in mythtv-setup, "freqid" in MythWeb) to the appropriate value.

So, for example, let's say your cable company originally put Fox 35 on
channel 3.  When you initially set up your channels, it received a
channel number of 3 and a frequency ID of 3.  Now, your cable company
has rearranged its programming such that Fox 35 is aired on channel 9.
So, using mythtv-setup or MythWeb, you should change the frequency ID to
9, and no other changes are required.  You may or may not have already
changed the channel number to 35, but since its value is irrelevant, you
can change it to match the new frequency ID (if you like wasting your
time learning useless information that applies only to your cable
company) or leave it as it was (and use the channel numbers you've
already learned) or change it to something that makes sense to you.

Do /not/ change the xmltvid, though.  :)

Mike