[mythtv-users] A prediction is coming true, faster than I thought

jedi at mishnet.org jedi at mishnet.org
Tue Jul 17 19:42:46 UTC 2007

> Kevin Hulse wrote:
>
>>> You have to be careful of headlines containing phrases like "single
>>> mom", it's a loaded phrase that has nothing to do with whether the
>>> individual broke the law or not, it just immediately gains sympathy
>>> from
>>> some readers. Would you have interpreted it differently if the writer
>>> had said "unwed mother"?
>>
>> 	...actually, that makes the plaintiff seem even more
>> pathetic. It brings the image of a welfare mother to mind or
>> some other sort of person that has problems just eating.
>
> It's just that when I see a "news" story that contains totally
> irrelevant information, I become very suspicious of both the content and
> the motives of the writer/publisher.
>

>> 	The "moral" element of unwed could go either way.
>
> Of course the person involved could be a widow, or even a rape victim.
> The "moral" issues are totally non-topical, why was that information
> even in the story, much less the headline?

   They are abusing the letter of the law to shake down people who
obviously don't have the means to pay an excessively inflated statutory
damage award. It helps highlight the absurdity of allowing large global
corporations to sue individuals for something other than actual damages.

    Attributes that characterize the means of the defendant are very
relevant. A court case is burdensome not just in terms of money but in
terms of time. Not everyone has the time to spare even under the best
of circumstances.

    "Who the perp is" is not at all irrelevant.

[deletia]