[mythtv-users] A prediction is coming true, faster than I thought

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Jul 17 20:15:14 UTC 2007

jedi at mishnet.org wrote:

>    They are abusing the letter of the law to shake down people who
> obviously don't have the means to pay an excessively inflated statutory
> damage award. It helps highlight the absurdity of allowing large global
> corporations to sue individuals for something other than actual damages.
>
>     Attributes that characterize the means of the defendant are very
> relevant. A court case is burdensome not just in terms of money but in
> terms of time. Not everyone has the time to spare even under the best
> of circumstances.
>
>     "Who the perp is" is not at all irrelevant.

Good point.

The real problem is the offshore "professional" pirates, who duplicate
not only the primary art but the packaging, and sell such bootlegs on
the streets of any mid to large city. If anyone is costing the record
companies money it's those "pros", not some individual downloading a
clip for private listening.

Somehow the RIAA never seems to go after the "real" pirates, perhaps
because they lack the means, or even the statutory authority to sue some
nameless group in an unknown place.

Have you ever heard of someone driving to a record store instead of
DLing a song because they were worried about being sued by the RIAA? I
haven't. If anything their behavior would make me even less respectful
of their "rights".

BEWW