[mythtv-users] Help - ASUS Pundit System and TV-Out

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 03:14:53 UTC 2007

On 16/07/07, ICMan <icman at eol.ca> wrote:

>  Hello All,
>
>  I have an ASUS Pundit system - it's a small footprint system with onboard
> everything, including DVI, Composite, S-Video, and VGA output ports.  This
> device has an onboard video card using the ATI Radeon 9100 IGP(?) chipset.
> I want to use the composite video output to connect to the television.
>
>  Myth is set up and works fine.  I love it.  I have updated it to the latest
> (almost) verion via SVN.  It works when the system is connected to my
> monitor.  I have connected it to several flat-panel LCD monitors using the
> VGA cable, and it works fabulous.
>
>  The composite TV-Out port does not work.

My first MythTV system was a Pundit-R built in 2004 and getting the
TV-Out working proved near impossible. The ATI proprietary driver
(fglrx) at the time (3.x series) had broken support for this card,
which could be fixed by some manual hex editing. IIRC later drivers
eventually fixed this.

The OSS radeon driver does not contain TV-Out support for the card,
but you might find some success with the GATOS project
(http://gatos.sourceforge.net/theater_out.php). I currently use the
Pundit as a slave backend/frontend with a LCD display which gets
around the TV-Out problem.

Call me a glutton for punishment, but my master backend/frontend also
uses a Radeon 9000 Pro card - however I made a homebrew VGA->RGB SCART
cable to get around the TV-Out problem and also provide a nicer
picture. I'm in the UK and appreciate SCART sockets are not common in
the US, but you can use this to provide a composite/S-Video signal
with modification. I only ever use the radeon driver which has XV
support (no XvMC but I don't need it as no HDTV).

The rage3d.com site is a good place to keep track of the official ATI
driver releases (and see how broken they are) but after more than 2
1/2 years, TV-Out support on the Radeon 9100 still seems to require a
lot of kung-fu.

I still have an xorg config from early 2005 with working TV-Out - I
did not use a modeline (used a res of 800x600) and the Device section
options at the time was:

Section "Device"
    Identifier                          "ATI Graphics Adapter"
    Driver                              "fglrx"

# ### generic DRI settings ###

# === disable PnP Monitor  ===
    Option                              "NoDDC"

# === disable/enable XAA/DRI ===
    Option "no_accel"                   "no"
    Option "no_dri"                     "no"

# === misc DRI settings ===
    Option "mtrr"                       "off" # disable DRI mtrr
mapper, driver has its own code for mtrr

    Option "XaaNoOffscreenPixmaps"      # added from myth-users list

# ### FireGL DDX driver module specific settings ###
# === Screen Management ===
    Option "DesktopSetup"               "0x00000000"
#   Option "MonitorLayout"              "STV, NONE"
    Option "MonitorLayout"              "NONE, STV"

    Option "IgnoreEDID"                 "off"

    Option "HSync2"                     ""
    Option "VRefresh2"                  ""
    Option "ScreenOverlap"              "0"
# === TV-out Management ===
    Option "NoTV"                       "no"
    Option "TVStandard"                 "PAL-I"
    Option "TVHSizeAdj"                 "-26"
    Option "TVVSizeAdj"                 "0"
    Option "TVHPosAdj"                  "22"
    Option "TVVPosAdj"                  "0"
    Option "TVHStartAdj"                "-6"
    Option "TVColorAdj"                 "0"
    Option "GammaCorrectionI"           "0x00000000"
    Option "GammaCorrectionII"          "0x00000000"

# === OpenGL specific profiles/settings ===
    Option "Capabilities"               "0x00000800"

# === Video Overlay for the Xv extension ===
    Option "VideoOverlay"               "on"

# === OpenGL Overlay ===
# Note: When OpenGL Overlay is enabled, Video Overlay
#       will be disabled automatically
    Option "OpenGLOverlay"              "off"
# === Center Mode (Laptops only) ===
    Option "CenterMode"                 "off"
# === Pseudo Color Visuals (8-bit visuals) ===
    Option "PseudoColorVisuals"         "off"
# === QBS Management ===
    Option "Stereo"                     "off"
    Option "StereoSyncEnable"           "1"
# === FSAA Management ===
    Option "FSAAEnable"                 "no"
    Option "FSAAScale"                  "1"
    Option "FSAADisableGamma"           "no"
    Option "FSAACustomizeMSPos"         "no"
    Option "FSAAMSPosX0"                "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosY0"                "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosX1"                "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosY1"                "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosX2"                "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosY2"                "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosX3"                "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosY3"                "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosX4"                "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosY4"                "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosX5"                "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosY5"                "0.000000"
# === Misc Options ===
    Option "UseFastTLS"                 "0"
    Option "BlockSignalsOnLock"         "on"
    Option "UseInternalAGPGART"         "yes"
    Option "ForceGenericCPU"            "no"
#    BusID "PCI:1:0:0"    # no device found at config time
    Screen 0
EndSection

No idea at all what the current driver looks like or expects, but I
doubt you need to specify a particular modeline if you use a 'regular'
resolution and specify the correct TV standard and monitor layout.

Good luck!
--
Nick

MythTV Official wiki: