[mythtv-users] A prediction is coming true, faster than I thought

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Wed Jul 18 05:48:02 UTC 2007

Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 13:28:34 -0700

On Jul 17, 2007, at 1:15 PM, Brian Wood wrote:
>> Have you ever heard of someone driving to a record store instead of
>> DLing a song because they were worried about being sued by the RIAA? I
>> haven't.

> It took the RIAA a long time to figure out that a lot of people were
> pirating music because it was convenient, not because it was cheap.
> I haven't felt the urge download MP3s off any of the file sharing
> networks since iTunes came on the scene.  It's not worth the trouble
> of trying to track down a decent illegal copy when I can buy a
> legitimate one for $0.99 with a few mouse clicks.

Agreed.  I don't have any problem purchasing songs, but WITHOUT DRM of any
sort-this is why I spend the $10/month for eMusic, even though their
selection is limited.  Until recently, anything you bought from iTunes was
encumbered with DRM which limited your ability as to what player you can
use it on and the number of personal copies you can make (I find that my
mp3 CDs get scratched up pretty quickly after being tossed around in the
car for a while - so I make new discs every few months).   I can grip
songs from my CDs to mp3, ogg, or whatever format without these
limitations.  When all downloadable music is unencumbered, people will
have no problems buying it.

$0.02 worth.

Bob