[mythtv-users] A prediction is coming true, faster than I thought

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 14:16:51 UTC 2007

> Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 17, 2007 at 10:48:02PM -0700, Bob Sully wrote:
> >> Agreed.  I don't have any problem purchasing songs, but WITHOUT DRM of any
> >> sort-this is why I spend the $10/month for eMusic, even though their
> >> selection is limited.  Until recently, anything you bought from iTunes was
> >> encumbered with DRM which limited your ability as to what player you can
> >> use it on and the number of personal copies you can make
> >
> > While it's admittedly not a perfect solution: burn to CD, re-rip to MP3.
>
> Actually, though there is a reasonable limit as to how many times you
> can burn a given playlist to CD directly, making even a trivial change
> to that playlist allows another set of burns. The resulting CD are
> playable/rippable by anything, and do not suffer from MP3 degradation.

except that they started as compressed audio files so re-ripping them
to mp3/aac again only compounds those issues.

there are also programs that allow you to create a fake CDR drive that
will actually create an ISO instead. iTunes can't tell the difference
and so no actual CDR is required and "ripping" from an ISO is always
bit perfect whereas even EAC can't claim that.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!