[mythtv-users] A prediction is coming true, faster than I thought

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 19 17:17:39 UTC 2007

>From: "Steven Adeff"
>
>I'm just reporting what I hear ;-)
>
>I agree though, and if it wasn't for the fact that ClearChannel was
>hemorrhaging money I would find it an odd request, but they are
>hemorrhaging money and I think *that is* money the RIAA deserves a
>piece of. If they weren't I would argue that ClearChannel would then
>play less music to lower costs and that would indirectly hurt sales.
>Of course most of what ClearChannel plays is not new music, which is a
>point the RIAA rightfully made. ie. all those oldie stations are
>actually preventing those CD's from being sold.
>
>or course, all this does do even more to kill new artists and new music...

I think your last sentence is key...personally I think that's actually one
of the unspoken motivations of the attack on internet radio.  It's being
done under the guise of "looking out for artists" and "making sure artists
get compensated" or whatever.

I think it's more about protecting the existing system where artist exposure
is run by payola.  When was the last time the record industry did anything
to indicate any interest in _anything_ that might help artists get exposure
based on popular opinion?

Tom