[mythtv-users] Mytharchive - use default encoding profile

Paul Harrison mythtv at dsl.pipex.com
Sat Jul 21 09:12:45 UTC 2007

A JM wrote:
> I understood the patch but was just trying to understand why it seemed
> to not offer the option to "not re-encode".
>
> I don't program in C but from what I see it looks like line 1166 was
> the original line that set SP as the default profile. Now, with the
> submitted changes you are allowed to choose your profile however "not
> re-encoding" is not an option and the one that I was looking for...
>
> AJM,

It doesn't make sense for the default encoding profile to be set to
'Don't re-encode'!

When you add a file to be archived MythArchive checks to see if it is
DVD compliant. If it is compliant then the encoding profile is set to
'Don't Re-encode' automatically because there is no need to re-encode it
if you don't want. If it isn't then it needs to chose a re-encoding
profile to use - it now uses the default set on the settings page rather
than the 'SP' profile that was hardcoded before. You can always override
MythArchive and set the encoding profile to 'Don't Re-Encode' if you
wish but I don't think it would be a good idea if it could do that
automatically.

If you still want to have 'Don't Re-encode' as the default you can add
something like

gc->addSelection("Don't Re-Encode", "NONE");

to the list of profiles in static HostComboBox
*MythArchiveDefaultEncProfile() in archivesettings.cpp.
or you could just set the 'MythArchiveDefaultEncProfile' setting in the
DB to 'NONE'.

Paul H.