[mythtv-users] OT: Adding more network connections

Matt Mossholder matt+mythTV-Users at mossholder.com
Sat Jul 21 14:57:41 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-07-21 at 14:22 +0100, Damian wrote:
> Mike Perkins wrote:
> > Damian wrote:
> > (2) I'm assuming your router is your connection to the outside world,
> > and may contain an inbuilt firewall. Unplug all your gear from your
> > router and plug it into the switch. Connect the switch to the router
> > with one wire, connect the router to the wild west (sorry, internet)
> > with another.

> Thanks for that Mike,
>
> I didn't think that the best thing would be to remove everything from
> the Router apart from the switch. That's interesting.
>
> Is one switch much like another, or are there a few key things I need to
> look out for?
>
> Cheers
> Damian

Removing your existing connections from the router isn't really a
requirement. It might make your wiring easier, or your connections
faster, but in the end, all ports connect to the same network. Do what
works for you.

I'd recommend using a gigabit switch, if it isn't cost prohibitive. I've
had a lot more success with diskless systems on a gigabit switch than a
100Mb switch. In general, getting the data from point-A to point-B in
less time helps things run more smoothly.

   --Matt