[mythtv-users] [slightly OT] HDTV cpu

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 23 03:06:39 UTC 2007

>From: "Steve MacLaren"
>

>>A follow up - with "UseEvents" and playback of broadcast HD using
>"Standard" (ffmpeg), the frontend is using ~65% of one core, and Xorg
>another ~10%.  Using "Standard XvMC", the frontend uses... ~65% of one
>core.  So my performance is much improved and very manageable for this
>particular system, but strangely, I can't seem to see any effect of using
>XvMC.

My frontend is a small form factor Dell Dimension 4700C with a 3.00GHz P4
(with hyper-threading enabled), and it uses a remote backend.  My
performance is also better with plain old libmpeg2 instead for XvMC.  I've
heard of others with these results as well.

The UseEvents is key though.  Without it, you can get good performance and
then suddenly have X start taking more than 90% cpu.  I was plagued with
that before I found out about UseEvents.

Playing HD content, my frontend uses about 30-40% cpu on content that
doesn't require deinterlacing, and a little over 60% on content that does
(using kerneldeint).

Tom

Tom