[mythtv-users] MythMusic dynamic sorting

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 12:31:34 UTC 2007

On 7/24/07, Paul Harrison <mythtv at dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
> Steven Adeff wrote:
> > On 2/25/07, Paul Harrison <mythtv at dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
> >> I've been sitting on a patch that allows you to browse your music any
> >> which way you want. At the top level you can view a list of all artists,
> >> albums, genres or tracks. You can filter the list by entering some text
> >> in the edit at the top of the screen. So if you enter 'A' then only the
> >> items that start with 'A' are shown so it is quick to find what you
> >> want. You can then move up a level so if you start in the Artists and
> >> select one you can them view all the albums, genres, or tracks by that
> >> artist etc. You can choose to view the lists as text items or as images
> >> which is great for the albums list if you have cover art for them. I got
> >> maybe 80-90% finished and then decided I wasn't 100% happy with it :-(
> >> and then I got distracted doing other things. I've never updated it to
> >> work with the DB schema change either so will need some changes to get
> >> it working again.
> >>
> >> What I  may do if it's easy enough to fix after the schema change and
> >> there is enough interest is post the patch on trac as a work in progress
> >> patch for people to try and maybe we can salvage something out of it,
> >> even if it's only an Album Art viewer or something? One problem I can
> >> see in doing this is if you ask 10 people how the music browsing should
> >> be done you will probably get 10 different answers :-)
> >>

> > Paul, what ever became of your patch?
> >

> I did briefly try to update it to work with the new DB schema but
> managed to comprehensively break it and like I said before I wasn't 100%
> happy with it when it _was_ working so didn't want to spend too much
> time on it. If I get some time later today I'll take another stab at it
> and see if I can at least get it working again so I can take some screen
> shots so that anyone interested can take a look and provide some feed
> back on whether it is worth continuing development on it.

Well, when you first mentioned it, I envisioned the "All Music" (or
whatever its titled, I almost wrote "My Music" =)  have a separate set
of sub divisions before you get to the actual music. Something along
the lines of,

 - Directory
 - Artist
 - Genre
 - Album
 - Compilations(?)

With, directory (or whatever you decide to call it) being the regular
directory view, Compilation showing by Album the tracks tagged as a
Compilation, and the others building based on the id3 information in
the database. Much like the current ability to format the tree
structure based on "Artist" "Album" "Genre" etc in the setup. In fact,
the be all end all would be to allow the user to create multiple tree
formats in the setup to create their own list. So I could do
Aritst / Album
or
Artist / A-D / Album
Artist / E-I / Album
etc
Genre/Rock/Artist/Album
Genre/Jazz/Artist/Album
etc
etc

type of thing. But for now just the ability to have the simple layout
I showed above would be a huge improvement, perhaps with the simple
option to use the Artist or "Split Artist" format, I have *a lot* of
music...

hopefully that gives you some direction. now i just need to continue
working on those MythMusic rehash concept drawings....

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!