[mythtv-users] Frontend won't run fullscreen!

Peter A. Jones peter_alan_jones at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 24 18:37:44 UTC 2007

Long time lurker first time poster... and a little noobish.  I've googled, looked through the wikis and
mailing list archives, etc, but I still wouldn't be surprised if this
is a RTFM problem so sorry in advance.

I'm on the home stretch (fingers crossed) of my first Myth install but have run into a problem with the way myth FE is displaying.  When I initially installed Myth (standard install following the Feisty community guide) the FE was displayed as you'd expect, at full screen, and working fine.  I wrestled with tuning and channel setup for a while and spent a while just looking through the pages and pages of FE settings, and at some point the FE went from showing at fullscreen to showing at a much lower resolution - maybe around 640x480 pix - overlaying the top left corner of the desktop (the Ubuntu menu bar is still visible above it, though).  I restarted the FE, rebooted, etc.  No dice.

It's looks kind of like a window, but has no border or handles.  I can still control it with the keyboard when it has focus, and it appears to work, though playback shows black screen for video (this was working before).  I've been through the frontend settings and can't find any settings awry AFAIK.

Also of note: I've got an FX5200 running nvidia-glx with two potential monitors: VGA to an LCD that I am using to set up, and DVI to a Sony HDTV that I have just messed with a little bit.  I had both running (TwinView) for a while but disabled the TV and now only the LCD shows in the nvidia-settings GUI, as you'd expect.  Is it possible that the FE is sizing itself for the HDTV screen but displays on the LCD somehow?  (I'm not sure what resolution I last set the TV to but it could have been something small...)

Any pointers?

Could this be an xorg.conf problem?

Would any more info be useful?  (Again, I'm pretty noobish so you might have to tell me where to find stuff ...)

Thanks in advance - I can't wait to show the wife this thing working!
Pete J