[mythtv-users] OT: Hardware failure

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 03:28:32 UTC 2007

Some aren't reading Eric's posts closely.

It sounds like he has a disk that formerly booted in the machine.  If its an
Athlon MBO BIOS I doubt it has the 512MB/2GB disk drive boot issues.  He can
read in the kernel and get it to the decompress step so it sounds like the
I/O to the hard drive works (unless he's damaged the kernel on the hard
drive) [will the drive boot in a different machine?].  The fact that a
different disk/OS doesn't boot but the memory test runs ok combined with the
fact that he says he was having heat problems makes me worry that the CPU
may be overheating under high CPU load.

In which case I'd be looking for some old benchmarks that exercise the CPU.
There used to be lots of these for PCs in the '90s back when everybody was
more concerned with their CPU speed rather than their graphics card speed.
I suspect there are many standalone PC benchmarks one could download from
the web to test this. I'd be concerned about the heat sink replacement step.

Also, I'd be concerned about trying to boot a typical modern Linux
distribution when troubleshooting.  I've got several machines and I've tried
a variety of distributions on them and a significant fraction of them will
not boot on one or more machines.  I tend to fall back on a Knoppix LiveCD
in most situations when I've messed things up.  It also helps if you have a
kernel compiled with all of the required modules that you boot in single
user mode.

If possible, you might try *underclocking* the CPU and see if that helps.
If that doesn't work, I'd spring for a water cooler but use LN2 instead of
the H2O.

Robert