[mythtv-users] Seeking Advice

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics steve at priorityelectronics.com
Wed Jul 25 18:03:14 UTC 2007

If you're gonna be doing a lot of transcoding, i'd recommend a Core 2 Duo
processor. But that's not too low end now. To give you an example, i had my
master backend running on a Pentium 4, 2.8ghz hyperthreading, 800mhz bus
speed, 1gb ram, and when i did transcoding with mencoder (slower than
ffmpeg, but imho better quality), it did about 6 frames per second, meaning
a 2 hour video, took around 8-10 hours to transcode. My core 2 duo E4300
overclocked to 2.4ghz can do 16-18 frames per second, meaning that a 2 hour
video takes 3 hours to do (because it cuts out commercials leaving me with a
file that is around an hour and a half). Now i do a lot of recording and a
lot of transcoding so i need the higher fps transcoding. I tried hooking up
my celeron 2.x ghz (i can't remember) as a slave backend and it did a lousy
2 frames per second, so i just didn't use it cause it took forever. I would
say that the most important thing in your myth box is your processor
selection because you will be doing transcoding. So check this out to
compare encoding times:
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_2007.html?modelx=33
<http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_2007.html?modelx=33&model1=946&model2=882
&chart=429> &model1=946&model2=882&chart=429 and go from there (that's what
i did anyways)

You can get good myth apg and pci video cards for around $20-$30 those are
cheap, so i wouldn't worry about getting an integrated tv out in the
motherboard. Also, you can't upgrade that if need be in the future.
-Steve