[mythtv-users] Seeking Advice

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Thu Jul 26 11:40:58 UTC 2007

Tim Phipps wrote:

> Beware of cheap hubs! I had two Freecom DVB-T USB tuners plugged into a cheap
> unpowered hub and it would do something bad after a few days. The USB system
> would effectively be dead and required a reboot to revive. The tuners are now
> plugged into the ports on the back (via extension cables, they're too fat to
> fit directly) and things are fine. The hub is in the spares box since I think
> it will be fine for mouse/keyboard etc.

Beware of cheap powered hubs too! I had a Belkin card reader/hub
combination which worked fine, once I realised that the supplied
software was garbage, and the thing worked better without. Until I
powered off the computer - and discovered the hub was feeding power
*back into the computer*. This caused all kinds of random strange errors
till I realised what was going on.

Fortunately there was no permanent damage and the thing worked without
power satisfactorily. I can't stand wallwarts anyway.

Mike Perkins