[mythtv-users] American EPG Data Provider Found?

Jarom McDonald jarom_mcdonald at byu.edu
Thu Jul 26 15:45:24 UTC 2007

I think there's a general misunderstanding about how mythfilldatabase
actually works. First of all, it's not just as simple as saying "point
this at a URL at get what is returned." Mythfilldatabase doesn't do
anything other than initialize the grabber and then take the returning
data and put in into the database. It is the grabber, thus, which has to
interface with the outside site, and it is that which will need to be
upgraded (along with whatever config files or database entries exist
that tell mythfilldatabase which grabber to use).

As far as the grabber goes, it, too, is much more complex than a simple
URL pointing. Because every region has different requirements, a simple
config file cannot be written to account for all the possibilities. Many
places need screen scraping, so the grabber for that region has to know
the URLs to go to, the regexes to parse it into XMLTV format, etc. Other
places, such as in North America, have the web service option, but
constructing a web service query, too can't necessarily be handled by a
simple config file.

So the solution that the XMLTV folk came up with was to have a different
grabber script for each region, which would contain all the rules,
parameters, etc. necessary to get the data, get it into XMLTV format,
and present it to whatever needs it (and many more software packages use
XMLTV--it's not a myth product). It's a pretty good solution in my
opinion, given the wide disparity in data needs around the world. The
different scripts, in essence, ARE the config file.

Perhaps there is more in the works as well, but given that XMLTV is
participating with MythTV and others on the schedulesdirect program, I
can't see why they wouldn't continue to follow this model. So when the
new schedule delivery system in North America is ready, it will most
likely be a web service. Then, a new XMLTV grabber will be written to
get data from it (so that all the other people who rely on XMLTV can use
it as well). Your Myth installation will just need a simple database
change to tell mythfilldatabase to initialize this new grabber; however,
you will have to update XMLTV so the new grabber is there to begin with.
This is what Chris meant when he said there would be a URL change.

Jarom McDonald