[mythtv-users] Random mythbackend exits

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Thu Jul 26 17:21:53 UTC 2007

On Jul 26, 2007, at 10:09 AM, Phil Figgins wrote:

> David,
> No dice here. It can go for a week without a crash, but sometimes
> as little
> as 15 minutes in between them. It seems that no one has an answer,
> and I
> simply don't know enough about Linux to figure it out. My plan is
> to build a
> temporary backend out of some older hardware to replace this one
> and then
> rebuild this one. I'd be glad to hear from anyone with ideas before
> I waste
> time building 2 systems.
>
> My current "fix" when the wife & kids say "the tv's broke again" is
> to fire
> up TeraTerm and run "/etc/init.d/mythbackend restart". The stop of the
> mythbackend service fails each time since it's already dead. So I
> think the
> errors we see in our logs are just building up to whatever is
> killing the
> service. That might explain why it's not the same error every time.
> It seems
> like the failure to connect to itself is the beginning of things going
> downhill.
>
> FYI - I'm running MythDora 3.2 on more than capable hardware.
>
> Phil

My AMD64 x86_64 system was very unstable when I was using EIT data
collection. I turned it off and it's been great ever since. I still
get crashes once in a while when watching LiveTV in HD and it starts
to record something with the same tuner or when two HD shows record
one after the other on the HD tuner, but only sometimes. Most of my
recording is SD so I just deal with it when it happens.