[mythtv-users] Power outages and UPSs

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Fri Jul 27 21:35:45 UTC 2007

On Jul 27, 2007, at 6:59 AM, John Drescher wrote:
> Where the heck did you find that? The shipping alone on my latest ups
> purchase was about that. I have been getting $75US PCM 800AP models at
> work because the APC ones were around $300 for anything that lasted
> more than 7 minutes.

Why do you need it to last more than 7 minutes?  Generally the goal
is to give the system time to shut down cleanly.  I don't have any
systems that take more than a minute or so to shut down.

I like to go to the local computer recycler and pick up old 300 and
600 VA APC desktop UPSs for $2 each from the "AS-IS" pile.  99% of
the time they just need new batteries.  I also have a really nice 900
VA APC unit I got the same way.  I have a single headless PIII server
plugged into it and the runtime is close to an hour!