[mythtv-users] Power outages and UPSs

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Sat Jul 28 17:20:43 UTC 2007

On Jul 28, 2007, at 9:51 AM, DaveD wrote:

> According to the output of apcupsd status, below, I'm overdue for a
> battery replacement.  This system is only a 350 VAW and only gives
> me 5
> minutes.  I have it set to shut down the system after 30 seconds of no
> power.  And yes, I have to hit the PC's power button when the power
> comes back so our recordings will not happen if we're away from
> home and
> the power goes out for > 30 sec.  I think there are ways to
> reconfigure
> that, though.  This is a pretty smart little box.  It was $25 (plus
> tax)
> at a brick & mortar closeout a couple of years ago.  The last ones I
> bought were 500 VAW and were $30 each plus shipping.

I am in that exact situation right now. In San Francisco, we've been
having rolling blackouts. The last one was from 3-7am a couple of
weeks ago which was no big deal since I was home, but we had another
while away from home for 2 weeks. I get back home today and the first
thing I'm going to do is turn on my master backend. I hope there's a
solution to getting the box back on without manual intervention. If I
let the machine just poweroff, it would come back ok. It doesn't seem
fair that I can't do that after properly shutting it down. I need to
poke around the BIOS a bit and do some experimenting.