[mythtv-users] Missing keys.txt

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Jul 28 21:17:47 UTC 2007

On 07/28/2007 04:49 PM, Nick Morrott wrote:
> Maybe it's just particular to my system, but installing from trunk
> never installs keys.txt to the system during make install. I would
> expect it to get to $PREFIX/share/mythtv/. Is this the expected
> behaviour, or should I raise a ticket?

I think installation of documentation is left as an exercise for the
user.  If you raise a ticket, make sure you attach a patch that does it
(perhaps even adding some configure options to also allow (optionally
re-building and) installing the HOWTO).  And make sure the location is
configurable because--as I see it--it belongs in
$PREFIX/share/doc/mythtv-0.20.1 (or whatever version number).  :)
Robert Kulagowski would probably be the best person to provide input on
how docs should be handled if they're done automatically as part of the
install.

I have to admit that I don't install any of the documentation myself,
but instead just access it via the Internet.  The main reason I do it
this way is because documentation (at least the HTML stuff) won't do me
much good on the Myth boxes because it's not worth turning on my TV to
start up a browser to look stuff up.*  And when the TV is on, it's
generally playing back some recording, so it's easier to go to one of my
computers to look up the info I need.

Mike

*** Obviously, you, Mike, know nothing of network computing, you Windows
lover...

So, why not use VNC?  Because VNC is not very good at X:0
exporting--especially when using, i.e. OpenGL-based programs.  Try using
the OpenGL theme painter and using the Myth menus to see what I mean.
It just ends up wasting a bunch of resources on the Myth frontend that I
would rather devote to Myth goodness.  It's also a security issue and
more trouble than just using the local browser on my computer.  So,
since I'd still need the computer to access the Myth box using VNC, why
not just use that same computer to access the documentation on the
Internet using a locally-running browser process.

So, why not use X redisplay via OpenSSH?  Excellent idea, but I haven't
yet fixed Firefox/Bon Echo after the Mozilla devs (Mozilla Corp?) broke
it.  It's now "smart" enough to re-use a locally-executing process if
the appropriate X resources exist withing the display to indicate that a
local process is running (and these resources are automatically set by
the browser when it's started).  This is great for people who don't have
a clue, but for me--who actually would, in this case, want a remote copy
running to allow access to the HTML on the remote filesystem--isn't so
nice.  The /only/ way I could actually cause the remote Firefox/Bon Echo
to execute is by exiting the locally-running process.  But, since I
already have a locally-running browser process, it's easier to just use
it to access the docs on the 'net.

So, the running thread through my reasons is, "It's easier."  I'm the
first to admit I'm lazy (because it's just too much work to argue that
I'm not).

(Sorry, just had to vent about the
designed-by-people-who-don't-understand-network-computing-for-people-who-don't-understand-network-computing
browser.)