[mythtv-users] Power outages and UPSs

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Sun Jul 29 02:37:00 UTC 2007

John Drescher wrote:
>> And how long do the batteries tend to last before they need replacing
>> again?  Seems like mine never go more than a year regardless of how
>> often they get used (power here is pretty stable--except when I'm
>> traveling, of course).
>>
> Mine last about 3 years. I never get APC batteries I get generic
> batteries of the same size with a higher rating than the APC
> batteries. BTW, the APC (12V 7.2AH) ones are the same type batteries
> as the ones in the powercom King Pro UPSs.

3-4 years is about my experience, too.  It depends a lot on the
temperature.  The rack-mount units run hot inside and you're sometimes
lucky to get 3 years before the batteries fail the self test, but
desktop units can last longer.

I also get "generic" replacements from electronics retailers.  Heck,
when I worked at a place that had a bunch of these units I used to
sometimes drive down to Batteries Plus and load up my trunk.  Lead-acid
gel-cells like these are pretty standardized -- there's only a dozen or
so sizes manufactured, so you just have to find the one that has the
right measurements.  If you order from APC they take the old ones back,
though, which may be a bonus if you live in an area where battery
disposal is difficult, or if your workplace has onerous regulations
about disposing of such things.

Be aware that some older APC UPS units have very little clearance around
the batteries.  You *really* don't want to let a battery reach complete
failure in one of these if you can help it.  Gel-cell batteries tend to
bulge when they fail, and they sometimes wedge themselves in place quite
firmly.  This can be really painful on some rack-mount units where the
batteries slide in single-file!