[mythtv-users] problems with mythtv-setup

Paul Harrison mythtv at dsl.pipex.com
Sun Jul 29 10:09:43 UTC 2007

Robert Stuart wrote:

Brad DerManouelian wrote:

> On Jul 28, 2007, at 10:00 PM, Robert Stuart wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I've got a Fedora 7 box with an NVidia card, and I have installed
>> mythtv-suite rpms via atrpms repo. I'm basically following the mythtv
>> install on fedora instructions.
>>
>> In any case, things are all installed nicely, but when I run
>> mythtv-setup, it talks about theme images for a few seconds and then
>> goes to a screen titled "main" with a spanner displays. I'm assuming
>> there is supposed to be a list of setup actions here, but no words
>> show
>> up. If I hit keys, I can get to a few things, but from the docs, there
>> should be more.
>>
>> Any ideas as to why I'm not seeing this setup menu?
>>
>> Regards
>> Robert
>>
> Sounds like OpenGL isn't working. You can either turn off OpenGL
> (check the archives on how to do this from the command line - it
> escapes me at the moment) or get OpenGL to work correctly. The latter
> is probably a better idea since you will want it to work at some
> point. :) I do know that using the mvidia binaries is the way to go,
> so if you're using the nv open source driver, switch to the nvidia one.

You can force Myth to use the qt painter by adding a '*ThemePainter=qt*'
setting override to the command line.
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Override_settings

The problem with the cancel/next/previous buttons moving of the bottom
of the screen is a different thing. One common cause is not running at
100dpi.
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions#All_my_fonts_look_like_they_are_the_wrong_sizes.2C_how_can_I_correct_this.3F

Also the Qt Style setting on the Appearance settings page can also have
an effect as some styles have slightly larger controls which the setup
screens don't handle very well causing some setup screens to become
larger than the screen height.

Paul H.