[mythtv-users] New to list, replacing Sky+, DVD, etc

Matt Bruce lists at jumile.me.uk
Sun Jul 29 13:38:39 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I'm new to the list, so thought I'd say hi... and ask for some advice.

I live in the UK and have just cancelled my subscription from Sky+
(the paid services are rubbish and they're ridiculously expensive),
which I understand will leave me with "Freeview via satellite" but no
ability to record onto the inbuilt HDD. I'm not interested in hacking
the Sky+ box, as it's rubbish, so I'd rather divert the £450+ per year
I was paying into building a decent satellite PVR.

I know there are a few of these on the market at £450+ (like the
Topfield TF5510PVR and TF6000PVR), but I'm no stranger to PCs, Linux,
networking, etc, so figured I'd look at building one based on MythTV.
I'd like to put together something do satellite reception and (legal)
decoding, record to HDD, watch one channel/record one channel, with
EPG and wired/wireless Ethernet - and perhaps to integrate a DVD-RW,
so I can get rid of my old DVD player and record stuff to disc.

I know there are lots of resources online, but I was hoping someone
could provide me with a few pointers to save trawling through
mountains of information and rubbish: websites, equipment advice
(satellite card, etc). Even pointing me to FAQs that answer the above
(UK-centric) will give me something to start on. I'm not lazy - I'm
just keen to get my hands dirty.

Cheers,
Matt