[mythtv-users] Power outages and UPSs

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Mon Jul 30 16:44:18 UTC 2007

On Jul 30, 2007, at 7:35 AM, Joe Marcom wrote:

>     I'm using 4 UPS Backups on computers and recording devices in my
> home.  In 4 years, I have had one failure; the charging system for the
> UPS died and thee alarm sounded.  I wouldn't be without one, and I put
> them on the grandkids' PCs, also.

I have seen occasional failures on BackUPS units, but to have two of
them go after one year, as Michael apparently did, is outside my
experience.  I used to work in an office that had 15 or 20 of them
and I only saw one or two failures that weren't just due to dead
batteries.  The BackUPS models have no self-test, so battery failure
can sneak up on you, though.  And some of the bottom-of-the-line ones
have no alarm override, which is really annoying. ;)