[mythtv-users] Forcedeth, HDhomerun and frame errors

JS Boyd mythtv at futures.com
Tue Jul 31 01:28:58 UTC 2007

Try running:

sysctl -w net.core.rmem_max=1048576

before you start up Myth.

There are also some reports from Silicon Dust that Nvidia ethernet chips
need to be run without hardware buffering.

However, my personal experience is that using a crossover cable directly
between HDHR and my system's Nvidia Ethernet port works perfectly
without any drops. In my case a D-Link DGS-2205 Ethernet switch seemed
to cause dropouts that looked like horizontal rips in the video.
Eliminating that switch, eliminated the dropouts.

Alex Halovanic wrote:
> I'm having some strange problems with recording from my HDHomerun.
> When I record a show and live commercial flag it, the show ends up
> garbled in many spots.  At first I thought that I was just hitting the
> limits of my disk I/O, but now I don't believe that's the problem,
> especially as I've never had so much as a skip recording and
> commercial flagging 2 SD broadcasts at 2gigs/h each.  My ifconfig
> output contains a large number of frame errors when I have garbled
> recordings:
>
> UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>           RX packets:804799 errors:533 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:533
>           TX packets:2142 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
>           RX bytes:1089396061 (1.0 GiB)  TX bytes:370867 (362.1 KiB)
>
> ethtool reports these frame errors as "rx_over_errors."  I'm guessing
> these are some kind of buffer overflows.  Is more priority going to
> reading from the disk than the LAN, or maybe some kind of interrupt
> problem?
>
> I have an nvidia nForce 430 onboard Gigabit device, using the 2.6.22
> kernel forcedeth driver, running at 100Mb/s.  I have over a gig of RAM
> and a dual-core AMD64, running in a pure 64-bit environment.
>
> I'm willing to try anything anybody might suggest, as this is driving
> me nuts, and nothing I've tried has had any effect so far.

==
Ubuntu Feisty 7.04
MythTV SVN version below
AMD 64 x2 4200+ 65W Energy Efficient Processor
Abit NF-N2 nView Motherboard
NVidia 6150 video VGA/DVI
PVR-500 (Phillips Chipset)
 IVTV 0.10.1
HDHomerun /sys/version 20070716
1GB RAM
500GB Seagate SATA: ST3500641AS
SONY DVD RW AW-G170A
Library API version     : 0.20.20070717-1
Source code version     : 14021M
SVN branch              : trunk
Network Protocol Version: 35
Options compiled in:
 linux release using_oss using_alsa using_arts using_jack using_backend using_dbox2 using_dvb using_firewire using_frontend using_hdhomerun using_iptv using_ivtv using_joystick_menu using_lirc using_opengl_vsync using_v4l using_x11 using_xrandr using_xv using_xvmc using_xvmcw using_bindings_perl using_opengl using_libavc_5_3 using_live