[mythtv-users] Lirc "pauses" ?

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 11:19:03 UTC 2007

> > I think Christoph asked you to help him out by running the CVS version. He
> > instrumented it, so that it will log useful information to syslog.
> >
> > Since he does not have the problem, he depends on you to help him out.
> >
> > This is not about proving that this modification makes it work (it may, or may
> > not), but about understanding *why*.
>

> Just an FYI on this. The "fix" hasn't made it into lirc version 0.8.2
> which was recently released earlier in June. However, it looks like
> some logging to /var/log/messages has been added so if the problem
> happens again it should be possible to send that to the lirc devs for
> them to see just what's going on. I've installed 0.8.2 from ATrpms so
> I'll keep an eye out for the problem and check /var/log/messages.

This is the code that was added in the latest release:
                               if(!(dcd^sense)) /* sanity check */
                                {
                                        printk(KERN_WARNING LIRC_DRIVER_NAME
                                               "AIEEEE: %d %d %lx %lx
%lx %lx\n",
                                               dcd,sense,
                                               tv.tv_sec,lasttv.tv_sec,
                                               tv.tv_usec,lasttv.tv_usec);
                                        /* detecting pulse while this
                                           MUST be a space! */
                                        sense=sense ? 0:1;
                                }

Unfortunately I've had heaps of lirc pauses (they can last for
minutes) which is really annoying and nothing logged in
/var/log/messages. Can someone tell me if /var/log/messages is the
right place to be looking for this? I've grep'd everything in the
/var/log/ tree but can't find "AIEEEE" anywhere. I'd like to help to
get this fixed in the source code but without being able to find
anything in the logs it's tricky.

If I do decided to bite the bullet and install lirc from source, how
hard is it to uninstall later and install the kernel modules for
kernel upgrades?

Happy to take this off to a different list if people think that's more
appropriate - but this is where the thread started.