[mythtv-users] Recommendations for a new tuner card on a low-spec machine

Steve Smith st3v3.sm1th at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 08:36:47 UTC 2007

Gabe,

Congratulations on running Mythtv with an appropriately sized machine! For
SD we shouldn't need humungous great processing power...and as for menus
being a bit slow...try one of the Windows PVR's using .NET, now THAT's slow
(honestly a 486 should be able to do the menus bit! Just my private bug bear
about PVR software).

I don't know where you're based or what TV is available to you but you might
want to consider some sort of DVB card (e.g. NOVA-T) in your line up.

If processing power is too low to do reliable playback you might also look
into the Hauppauge Media MVP, a tiny little silent box that runs linux, has
excellent SD playback quality on ordinary TVs and has a Myth client
available (mvpmc.org).

Cheers

Steve